7.25.2004

for Sunday

In church today, one of the songs was based on the Magnificat and we sang the line "he fills the hungry with good things and sends the rich away empty." And I was reminded of this quote by Soren Kierkegaard:

In the magnificent Palace Church, a resplendent court chaplain, the declared favorite of the cultivated public, makes his appearance before a select circle of distinguished, cultivated persons and preaches a moving sermon over the apostle's words: "God chose the lowly and the despised." And no one laughs!


And here's something else appropriate for a Sunday (and my current feelings). It's from an old episode of The Simpsons:




"Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me and I am thankful. For the first time in my life everything is absolutely perfect the way it is. So here’s the deal: you freeze everything as it is and I won’t ask for anything more. If that is okay, please give me absolutely no sign."

[Pause]

"Okay, deal. In gratitude, I present to you this offering of cookies and milk. If you want me to eat them for you, please give me no sign."

[Pause]

"Thy will be done."